Monday, June 2, 2008

Respiration is a 50-50 Thing

Today I feel as though my thoughts regarding my life have started to fall into a series of equations, all of which are following the same formula: "Yes, ______ sucks, but ______ is really great."

It's a relaxing way to look at the world. Instead of letting myself focus on all the minor negative things, or trying to force myself to ONLY look at the positive, I simply acknowledge a single bad issue and follow it up with a higher-in-value (but related) good issue. Some examples:

Yes, it's stressful moving my parents out of the house I grew up in. BUT they're moving to a really awesome house fifteen blocks away from me, so I'll get to see them more often. Yes, I'm working a dead-end job that pays dirt. BUT I potentially have a career-building position elsewhere in the field I'm studying. Yes, I'm having problems with a friend. BUT I've reconnected with a lot of other friends I thought I'd lost, and those friendships feel better than ever.

When applied like this to every upsetting thing that pops into my head, the formula works beautifully to make me breathe normally again, and smile, and brush it off my shoulders. Today I feel as though everything will work itself eventually, as long as I don't panic about it.

If I flail, I'll drown. If I relax, I'll float. Inhale, exhale.

No comments: