Wednesday, October 29, 2008

On the Upcoming All Hallows Eve

Sean and I carved pumpkins earlier today. They're sitting on the table, one wearing a Mr. Yuk face and the other looking a bit like it just experienced a very enjoyable stroke.

The house has a nice sharp brown smell to it, like the seeds that I toasted. Outside the colorful trees are lit from behind and beneath by the street lamps, and people are still out walking hand-in-hand. It's a beautiful picture.

I got to thinking, however, with my hands deep in stringy pumpkin squish: Halloween is a totally bizarre holiday. We dress our kids up like dead things and make an honest attempt to scare them stupid. We send them out on the street to beg for handouts door-to-door, and we sit back and watch as they slip into sugar-induced comas as a result.

And here I am, pulling the guts out of a beautiful fruit with my bare hands, salting and roasting its unborn children, then carving out its flesh and lighting up its mutilated body for the whole neighborhood to see.

I mean... seriously. What the hell.

I have to admit I love it, though. Favorite time of year.

No comments: